With the 2016/17 academic year drawing to a close I thought I’d share few of the many highlights we have enjoyed over the past 10 months, I do hope you enjoyed it much as I have and I look forward to working with you all again in the next academic year.
Kent Spitfires VICC finish 2nd in the Brian Johnston Memorial Trophy played over a weekend in Leicester as well the “Spirit of Cricket Award” The Annual Kent Performance Awards took place at The Spitfire Ground with winners from the Disability Squads being;
Learning and Physically Disabled Squads
- Players Player of the Year - James Nordin
- Most Improved (Coaches Choice) - Alex Johnson
- Club Player of the Year (Outstanding contribution to the squad throughout the season) - Andrew Mowatt
Visually Impaired Squads
- Players Player of the Year - Luke Boulding
- Most Improved (Coaches Choice) - Harry Lavender
- Clubman of the Year - Simon Boulding (Team Scorer)
- Bexley compete in the Lord’s Taverners Disability Cricket Championship Finals Day, held at Lord’s Cricket Ground, this time not being able to escape the tough round-robin 1st round.
- Performance Squad Training commences again for the 2017 season!
- The much anticipated, Lord’s Taverners Table Cricket programme commences across Kent
- Katie Halford awarded the Lord’s Taverners Disability Cricket Championships (LTDCC) “2016 Spirit of Cricket Award”
- Sam Alderson awarded the LTDCC “2016 Most Improved Player”
- Dom Taylor awarded the LTDCC “2016 Coach of the Year”
- The LTDCC “Bromley HUB” launches at The County Ground, Beckenham on Friday evenings.
- Final Performance squad trials and training sessions
- Disability Inclusion Training course attended by 9 coaches to increase disability participation and delivery across Kent.
- Kent Cricket Lords Taverners Table Cricket Finals at The County Ground, Beckenham.
o Glebe School from West Wickham beating Marjorie McClure School from Chislehurst in the final and progress to South East Regional Finals
- Kent Reliance Disability Cricket Open Day
o Rapid Fire Games
o Speed Gun
o Batting and Bowling competitions
- Bexley compete in the Lord’s Taverners Disability Cricket Championship East competition at University of East London, SportsDock
- LT Ambassador visit to Bromley College by Kent and England batsman Sam Billings.
- 27th - Schools Day Out at The Spitfire Ground, an invitation for all schools to attend and watch Kent play in a List A cricket match.
- 29th - Players Open Day at The Spitfire Ground. No play today but join in plenty of fun and games with the Kent Men and Women first teams and have a chat about the upcoming season.
- The Disability and Visually Impaired squads begin their summer seasons with matches against;
o Disability - Essex, Sussex & Middlesex
o Visually Impaired – London Metro & Berkshire
- 18th – Glebe School attend and win the London & South East Regional Table Cricket Finals, onwards to the National Finals in June
- 9th – Glebe School attend the National Table Cricket Finals finishing 8th
- 23rd - Kent Reliance Disability Cricket Festival
o 25 schools and 34 teams
o Over 300 pupils and staff
o Nearly 100 games of cricket
1. Greenfields Community Primary School, Maidstone – Team 1
2. Helen Allison School, Meopham
3. Rowhill School, Longfield
1. Drumbeat School, Brockley, Lewisham
2. The Orchard School, Canterbury
3. Rowhill School, Longfield
1. East Kent College, Folkestone
2. Marjorie McClure School, Chislehurst, Bromley
3. Riverside School, Orpington, Bromley
The 2016/17 cricket year has been our most productive yet providing cricket to over 50 schools, community groups and charities, reaching close to 2000 unique participants, providing an amazing basis to grow on in the future.
This is thanks to all of you for your support throughout the year and hopefully for many years to come. If you would like to discuss any aspect of disability cricket in Kent please do get in touch.
Lord’s Taverners Disability Officer and Community Cricket Officer
Disability Cricket lead for Schools, Lords Taverners Projects, HE/FE, Competitions and Performance Squads
Kent County Cricket Club, The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence, Old Dover Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NZ
01227 473 618